Life

Old school rusks

August 26, 2016

I can go without meat, chicken, fish and burgers. I can’t go without ciabatta, avocado, pesto and…. RUSKS! My husband brings us coffee in bed every morning, and with my coffee I have one of my home-baked rusks. I CAN’T get up unless I’ve had a big, chunky, bran rusk! I try to eat wholesome, unprocessed foods 80% of the time, and the other 20% may not always be 100% healthy. Rusks are somewhere in between for me – as I bake them myself, not all the ingredients are as bad as one might think!

Here is the recipe:

500g Butter (butter is better than margarine!)

350ml Buttermilk

3 Eggs (I choose organic)

Beat the above together. 

1kg Self-Raising flour

6 Cups Digestive Bran (good for you!)

1 Cup Wheat Germ

3 Cups All Bran Flakes or similar (I use flakes that aren’t GM, from Dischem, made from spelt and barley)

15ml Baking powder

Seeds – pumpkin (1/2 cup) sunflower (3/4 cup) and chai/flax seeds (1/4 cup)

2 Cups sugar (I use organic brown sugar)

1 Teaspoon salt (I use pink unprocessed Himalayan salt)

Mix everything together, add to one large baking tray, score into rusk size pieces and bake for 35min at 180 degrees celsius.

Remove from the baking tray and let it cool. Break into rusks and let it dry in the oven at 90 degrees celsius for 3-4 hours.

Send me a picture if you try to bake them! Enjoy.

xox

Minnette

You Might Also Like

No Comments

Leave a Reply